Working in York Region
Whether you are looking for a job or starting your own business, York Region is the perfect choice.
There are many reasons why York Region is a place of business and opportunity:
- Well-educated, diverse workforce with global connections
- Largest employers include world-class organizations
- One of the strongest, most diverse economies in Canada
- Excellent transportation system and transit service
- Towns and cities close to Toronto
- Millions of customers are only a short distance away
More than 500,000 people are employed in over 29,500 businesses in York Region. As one of the largest urban areas in North America, York Region has the third largest workforce in Ontario. Our communities continue to grow and prosper because of a strong and diverse economy.
York Region's major industries include:
- Business Services
- Information Technology (IT)
To find out more about working in York Region, here are some helpful business links:
- Bridget Tools - This tool provides instructional videos on topics such as filling out a Social Insurance Number application, application for old age pension, registration for Ontario Health Coverage and more. Videos are available in 14 languages.
- Chambers of Commerce - nine chambers in York Region that list municipal business opportunities and activities.
- Employment Ontario - can help you get the training, skills and experience to find employment and connect you to potential employers.
- Foreign Credential Recognition Office (FRCO) - Government of Canada's FRCO provides information, path-finding and referral services on foreign credential recognition to help internationally trained workers succeed and put their skills to work in Canada more quickly.
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada provides credential assessment services and programs to newcomers and helps employers, educational institutions, and other organizations understand international credentials. NEW
- Linkedin - is a social media tool that assists with job search, networking with recruiters and resume submission.
- Online Business Directory - York Region's online business directory lists contact information for over 28,000 businesses in York Region.
- PAIE - The PAIE Program is an innovative, employer-led bridge training program designed to connect employers and highly skilled internationally trained Engineers and Geoscientists
- RNC Employment Services - Rehabilitation Network Canada Inc. provides excellence in Disability Management, Vocational Rehabilitation, Assessments and Employment services
- York Economic Insights - lists regional business events, economic forecasts and the latest developments in the York Region business community.
- York Region Business Strategy - general information on potential economic development opportunities in York Region.
Working In Canada Widget - a free online tool that provides you access to updated information about job opportunities, skill requirements, wages and helpful facts about working in Canada.