Working in York Region
Whether you are looking for a job or starting your own business, York Region is the perfect choice.
In the working section you will find information on:
There are many reasons why York Region is a place of business and opportunity:
- Well-educated, diverse workforce with global connections
- Largest employers include world-class organizations
- One of the strongest, most diverse economies in Canada
- Excellent transportation system
- Towns and cities close to Toronto
- Millions of customers are only a short distance away
More than 500,000 people are employed in over 29,500 businesses in York Region. As one of the largest urban areas in North America, York Region has the third largest workforce in Ontario. Our communities continue to grow and prosper because of a strong and diverse economy.
York Region's major industries include:
- Business Services
- Information Technology (IT)
To find out more about working in York Region, here are some helpful business links:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act - There are a series of training tools to help you learn how to work safely several available in different languages at ontario.ca/learntoworksafe. For more information: ontario.ca/HealthAndSafetyAtWork, email: email@example.com, or call: Health and Safety Contact Centre toll-free at 1-877-202-0008
- Learn how to network in Canada with new video - Are you new to Canada? Trying to network in an unfamiliar country can be challenging. To help make networking less intimidating for newcomers to Canada, York Region Social Services has launched a video with tips on how to make a great first impression. For more job tips, check out York Region's Job Search Handbook
- Neighbourhood Network is a Magna International Inc. community initiative that supports the neighbourhoods in York Region by linking volunteers and community resources to registered charities and not-for-profit agencies. Neighbourhood Network is dedicated to promoting volunteerism and recognizing active citizens who are giving their time and affecting positive change in their community.
- Information for not-for-profits and charities - The Government of Ontario has launched a new online resource for not-for-profits in Ontario. The new site features information about funding opportunities, advice on how to start and manage a not-for-profit organization, research, government supports, and much more.
- Job Find Club for Internationally Trained Individuals - A mobile employment service delivered at multiple locations across York Region to assist internationally trained professionals in developing resume writing and interview skills. Attendees will learn effective job search strategies, while having access to a dedicated job developer to provide coaching and support throughout the process.
- Bridge to HR is a bridging program for internationally trained human resources professionals. The program provides sector specific language training and is equivalent to two college credits required for the CHRP. The program also includes and eight week placement and will help HR professionals connect with a mentor.
- Employment Ontario - can help you get the training, skills and experience to find employment and connect you to potential employers.
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada provides credential assessment services and programs to newcomers and helps employers, educational institutions, and other organizations understand international credentials.
- Linkedin - Is a social media tool that assists with job search, networking with recruiters and resume submission.
- Online Business Directory - York Region's online business directory lists contact information for over 28,000 businesses in York Region.
- PAIE - The PAIE (Professional Access and Integration Program) is an innovative, employer-led bridge training program designed to connect employers and highly skilled internationally trained engineers and geoscientists.
- RNC Employment Services - Rehabilitation Network Canada Inc. provides excellence in disability management, vocational rehabilitation, assessments and employment services.
- Invest in York - lists regional business events, economic forecasts and the latest developments in the York Region business community.
- York Region Economic Development Strategy - general information on potential economic development opportunities in York Region.
- Working In Canada - a online tool that provides you access to updated information about job opportunities, skill requirements, wages and helpful facts about working in Canada.