Living in York Region
York Region is a wonderful place to call home. It is becoming a global village. As part of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), York Region has everything you need to live and to enjoy life. Whether you want an urban, a multicultural lifestyle or a relaxed, country setting, York Region has it all.
There are so many reasons why York Region is a great place to live:
- clean and friendly towns and cities
- wide range of housing options
- world-class health care system and hospitals
- best educational systems and schools for (your) children
- premier location for business
- highly-developed transportation systems
- many cultural groups and places to worship
- recreational activities for the whole family
Visit the YorkMaps link to browse through interactive maps that highlight features such as; Community Services, Recreation and Culture, Land Information, Source Water Protection, Business Directory, Development Infrastructure Planning, Transportation Management, Water/Waste Water
The York Region Immigration Portal website has been designed using the guidelines set our by our Accessibility Policy and adhering to accessibility legislation.
Copies of the Accessibility Policy are available in accessible formats upon request. For accessible formats or questions about accessibility legislation and compliance, contact AODA@york.ca.
Visit Accessible Customer Service to learn about serving our customers with disabilities.
Emergency Services (Police, Fire, EMS):
In the case of an emergency, call 911 to reach your local emergency services.
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS) - York Region Emergency Medical Services (YREMS) provides basic and advanced life support, emergency and non-emergency medical care and transport of the ill and injured.
Fire and Rescue: Fire services in York Region are provided for and by each municipality. For information on your city or town's specific Fire Program, please visit:
- Aurora - Central York Fire Services
- East Gwillimbury - East Gwillimbury Fire Department
- Georgina - Town of Georgina Fire Department
- King - King Fire and Emergency Services
- Markham - Markham Fire and Emergency Services
- Newmarket - Central York Fire Services
- Richmond Hill - Richmond Hill Fire and Emergency Services
- Vaughan - Vaughan Fire and Rescue
- Whitchurch-Stouffville - Whitchurch-Stoufville Fire and Emergency Services
- Police: York Regional Police (YRP) is a law enforcement organization that serves over 1.1 million residents throughout nine municipalities.
- Canada Revenue Agency resources for newcomers to learn more about their eligibility for taxes and benefits during their first year in Canada.
- The Law Society of Upper Canadas' directory of Certified Specialist Lawyers in different areas of law, who have maintained exemplary standards of professional practice.
Parenting and Child Care
- York Region Children's Aid Society - York Region Children's Aid Society (York CAS) works to keep children safe and families together. We provide support for families and protection for children who are at risk of abuse and neglect. We do this by linking families to community services, providing prevention and awareness programs to keep children safe, and when necessary, intervention. York CAS is mandated to provide child protection services by the Child and Family Services Act. Please contact York CAS at 1-800-718-3850, if you have concerns about the safety of a child, or for more information.
- Family and Children's services - lists information on child care programs and services offered to residents of York Region available in their local areas.
- Life with a Baby - Life With A Baby is a free support network for parents with children 0-6 years of age. It also provides multi-lingual support for Chinese, Korean and Russian speaking parents. Learn more about informational seminars, programs, open forums and fun social events.
- Parenting and Children's Programs - operated by community agencies and funded by the province of Ontario, this link provides information, free programs and links to services for parents, caregivers and their children.
Services for Seniors:
- 211 - online directory connects seniors with services in Ontario that provide information on retirement homes, health care and support services, social groups and associations.
- CHATS - Community and Home Assistance to Seniors is a not-for-profit charitable organization, launched in 1980 by a caring group of community members, who believed in enhancing the independence of seniors living at home.
- STRIVE- A Guide of services for youth in York Region and South Simcoe. Produced by the Workforce Planning Board of York Region and Bradford, West Gwillimbury, STRIVE is a guide that provides information about supports and services available for youth.
- YorkScene.com - your source for all there is to see and do in York Region and the local municipalities.
To find out more about living in York Region, here are some helpful links:
- My First Days - The "First Days Guide" has useful information for your first 2 weeks in Ontario. It is available in French and English.
- Canada Benefits has information about tax benefits for seniors living in Canada.
- Family Services York Region - Family Services York Region is a professional non-for-profit counselling organization. It provides a wide range of services for all individuals at five different York Region locations and offers these services in 11 languages.
- Legal Aid Ontario - Legal Aid Ontario provides services for low-income individuals by providing high quality legal aid services in a cost-effective and efficient manner.
- Let's Talk - A repository of tools, resources and information related to interpretation for people with limited English language proficiency. Let's Talk can help organizations better deliver services to newcomers by providing access to a directory of Interpretation Service Providers and other useful resources.
Ontario Human Rights Commission - The Ontario Human Rights Commission is updating its 1996 Policy on Creed and the Accommodation of Religious Observances and they need your help.
Please consider filling out their Human Rights and Creed Survey, and sharing it with your networks and peers. They want to hear from individuals, employers and other groups what creed means, experiences of discrimination based on creed and its root causes, as well as challenges and success stories for accommodating creed beliefs and practices.
- Pathways York Region - Provides support services, such as youth programs and transitional apartments to improve the lives of homeless and at-risk youth and families in York Region.
- Women's Centre of York Region - Women's Centre of York Region provides programs and counselling support to women affected by domestic abuse or significant financial challenges
For more information about the Regional Municipality of York or your local municipality visit websites below:
- The Regional Municipality of York
- East Gwillimbury
- Richmond Hill