The official languages of Canada are English and French. The most commonly used language in the workplace in York Region is English. Reading and writing in English is an essential skill. It will help you become familiar with York Region, find a job, and get settled here.
York Region has many useful English language services available. The federal and provincial governments support local school boards and community agencies to teach English to people.
To find out more about learning English, here are some helpful links:
- York Region District School Board provides a list of the language programs available in York Region.
- York Catholic District School Board
- Welcome Centre has a variety of immigration services all in one centre including English language programs. Services are provided free of charge. The five agencies that you find at the Welcome Centre are:
- YMCA York Region offices provide information on learning English.
- Human Resources and Social Development Canada website lists information about the essential language skills that help people participate fully in the workplace and in the community.
- The Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program provides a complete set of computer-delivered tests used to assess your English language skills.
- Language Portal of Canada provides helpful information on language in Canada.
- Jewish Immigrant Aid Services Toronto - provides expert outreach, support, counselling, training,referral services and English language programs.